I wish someone would just listen to me…but how do I ask for help?

My name is Kim Johnson and I was born and raised in the United States. Two teenagers in my city died by suicide today. I wonder how many people die by suicide and their deaths are unreported.

I learned today, during my LivingWorks Start training, that there are an average of 132 people that die by suicide every day. That is just reported suicides.

I wonder how that number might shrink if we each had someone close to us that was ready, willing and able to talk about suicide?

Things I often heard on the Suicide Crisis Prevention line from people that would call for help:

“I just don’t know what to do anymore.”

“I wish someone would care and ask what’s wrong.”

“Does anyone care?”

“Nothing matters anymore. I see no other end to this.”

“It is all just too much.”

What if we felt and spoke things that didn’t match or add up? How difficult and scary it may be to ask about suicide directly?

Speaking about suicide saves lives!

What is your experience, that moment, when you felt like you had no one to turn to? What did that feel like when you were not seen or when you were ignored?

As someone looking in, how might you respond when someone expresses these thoughts out loud to you or if you found out this is how they felt?

Author

pikjohnson@ucdavis.edu
I want this to be a safe space to share my goings-on while I dig deep into my journey of self-discovery. What brings me to my desire to share my journey? I wish to provide life-coaching services to others. I coach to help others uncover what it is that is holding them back from accomplishing what is dearest in their hearts, spirit and minds. I am currently a student at iPEC, Institute of Professional Excellence in coaching. I am determined to disseminate my coaching services to all those interested. While I coach, I also would like to share bits and pieces of what it is that I do as a life coach-to-be and inversely, what I do not do. I am an imagineer, at your service. That is the best way I can describe a life coach to you. As a life coach-to-be, I can teach you how to think outside the box, consider alternative perspectives and reflect on what influences your thoughts. If any of this sounds like something you are experiencing, what is stopping you from moving forward? A space to message me may be found on the middle menu option on my home page. I acknowledge, appreciate and embody gratitude for each and every one of you and the struggles which you endeavour each and every moment. No one is a stranger to adversity. We can all overcome adversity because of our combined diversity. Thank you for contributing your time into our growing and collective, worldly diversity. Endearingly yours, Kim

Comments

April 10, 2020 at 7:29 am

This is really a challenging situations because people never give much importance to mental health nowadays which leads to suicide. Only physical illness were considered worth mentioning. WHO recognised Depression as the disease of the year 2017 which shows that much people are suffering from mental ailments. The title was Depression : let us talk. This shows that only support we can give to a mentally ill person who is in the urge of suicide is conversation. Hearing what they have to say and giving proper advice along with medication. A relevant post. Well written.πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ’―

April 10, 2020 at 9:18 am

I resonate with your words about our global mental healths. It can be a challenging situation when we are silent and don’t feel safe to share.

Conversation, indeed πŸ’¬ πŸ’¬ πŸ’¬ πŸ’¬ Thank you for shedding light on WHO recognizing depression as the disease of the year 2017.

I would like to point out something about depression and its relationship to suicide, however. In my ASIST training — suicide intervention training — just because someone has suicide thoughts, doesn’t mean they are depressed and just because someone is depressed, it doesn’t mean that they have suicide thoughts.

We are encouraged in our suicide intervention training to assume anyone, going through any event, reacting in any kind of way, can have thoughts of suicide. It is safe for us all to make this assumption because then we do not miss anyone.

April 10, 2020 at 10:03 am

This is true. That is why some suicides seems surprising and suspicious. Some people will appear to be ok and positive till the day of suicide and that’s why people around him or her will get surprised of knowing their demise. It is not completely based on their mental health history that they exhibit. The point you shared here is worth enough to think.πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

April 10, 2020 at 10:08 am

Tushara, your flexibility of mind is something I can appreciate. It is something we can feel justifiably curious about when some of us find ourselves surprised or even suspicious, as you had said.

Well said. I do appreciate your taking the time to join in this much-needed and imperfect discussion of suicide.

April 10, 2020 at 10:15 am

Its my pleasure.😊 You told you took suicide intervention training. So area you a psychologist?

April 10, 2020 at 10:49 am

I became learned in Suicide Intervention when I applied to work at a Suicide Crisis Hotline 3 years ago.

I am not a psychologist. And yet…after working on the Suicide Crisis Hotline, I learned many psychologists defer to the hotline when they sense clients or people may be in immediate danger. People that operate the hotlines aren’t required to have formal academic knowledge of psychology, which I find interesting.

What about yourself? What is your experience with psychology or suicide, if I may ask?

April 10, 2020 at 10:58 am

I am an English literature graduate. For my dissertation purpose during masters degree I took the topic of mental illness and suicide motifs in famous English writers. A bit psychological study. And that’s why I am interested in this topic.πŸ˜ŠπŸ’™

April 10, 2020 at 11:37 am

I would be interested in reading your works. To clarify, you spoke of mental illness and suicide motifs in famous English, how so?

That is intriguing.

I can appreciate your interest and spending time learning more about the misconceptions of suicide and ways you can help support anyone and yourself through extremely painful times.

April 10, 2020 at 8:32 pm

Yes, literary world has many such traces of clinical history. Do explore it. You are on track go ahead.πŸ˜ŠπŸ’—

April 10, 2020 at 11:44 pm

I appreciate you sharing this, Tushara and spending time sharing your knowledge here. πŸ’œ